Aislaby is a long village of stone built houses built on a hillside overlooking the Esk, three miles to the west of Whitby. For much of its existence the village was part of the parish of Whitby, only becoming a separate parish in its own right in 1865.
The Church of St. Margaret was built in 1897 to replace an earlier chapel built in 1732, which itself replaced a medieval chapel. The new church stands at what was then the western end of the village, with the chapel along the road to the east.
The village always looks south to the Esk. The village of Briggswath is part of the same parish, and Aislaby's 12th century mill was built on the river side. The mill survived until the 19th century, and was close to Strait Lane, which follows the route of an ancient causeway from the Esk to the village.
Had 12th century mill by the Esk which survived to the 19th century – road from mill to the village now traceable as an ancient causeway up Strait Lane. At the other end of the village is Narrow Featherbed Lane, which was once said to be the narrowest 'King's Highway' in Britain, but which is now no longer a road.
The car park just to the west of the village on the main A 171 offers a good viewpoint over the lower Esk, as well as giving access to Hutton Mulgrave Wood, although the main road can be exceptionally difficult to cross at busy periods.
Grid Reference: NZ 857 086
Aislaby is located on a side road just to the south of the A 171 Whitby to Guisborough Road, close to the top of the climb up out of Whitby.