Allerston is one of a number of villages built along roads that run south from the main A 170 as it runs along the southern edge of the moors, each running along a ridge of slightly higher and therefore drier ground on the edge of the flat, fertile but wet vale of Pickering. The village has an Anglian name meaning enclosed farmstead. Part of the manor of Allerston was owned by the Knights Templars between 1227 when they were given some land in the village, and 1312 when the order was destroyed. After a short period in private hands their holding were taken over by the Knights Hospitallers, who held it until the time of Henry VIII.
St. Mary's Church, at the northern end of the village, is mostly 14th century with a 15th century tower. The quire contains a 14th century three-light window and two two-light windows. The belfry contains three bells, one of medieval date and two dating from 1674, but that were recast in 1910.
Grid Reference: SE 877 828
Allerston is located on the A 170 between Pickering and Scarborough