Ampleforth Abbey gives a rare and intriguing glimpse of a thriving monastery. The abbey was founded in 1802 by monks fleeing from the French Revolution, which had developed a strong anti-church tendency.
The abbey is still thriving, with 94 monks (February 2006). Soon after establishing the monastery, the monks also founded a school. From an initial class of two, the school has developed into one of the main Catholic boarding schools in the country. The school buildings are spread on both sides of the road, to the east of the Abbey Church.
The current church was built between 1922 and 1961 to a design by Sir Gilbert Scott, a prominent Victorian architect, and exponent of Gothic building. Both the school and abbey contain carvings by Robert Thompson, the mouse man of Kilburn.
Ampleforth Abbey is on Ordnance Survey Explorer Map OL26 (North Yorks Moors Western Area)