Boosbeck is a small mining village just to the east of Guisborough, one mile to the north of the National Park boundary. Most of the village dates to the nineteenth century, including the primitive Methodist chapel and a public elementary school built in 1881 and expanded in 1894. The church of St. Aiden's was built in 1900 in stone in a 12th century style, with a chancel, nave, transepts, west porch and turret with two bells. The church was built on a site donated by W.H.A. Wharton of Skelton Castle. In 1901, the year after the church was built. Boosbeck became an ecclesiastical parish.
During the 1930s Boosbeck was the site of work camps for unemployed miners. In 1933 the composer Sir Michael Tippet wrote the folk-song opera Robin Hood while volunteering at one of these camps.
Grid Reference: NZ 659 169
Boosbeck is located south of Skelton. It can be reached from the A 171 by taking the turn just before the road climbs up onto Stanghow Moor east of Guisborough.