The hamlet of Easby is made up of a scattering of buildings centred on Easby Hall, a nineteenth century stone mansion. The hall and park are on a triangle of land between Otter Hills Beck and the River Leven, but the original medieval manor house at Easby was probably built on the small hill east of the river (marked as a motte on the OS map). The hamlet is now rather dominated by Easby Moor, which looms over it to the north east, with Captain Cook's Monument on its summit. Easby is a Danish name, and was recorded in Doomsday Book at Esebi – the farm or village of Esi.
Remarkably for a village of its size Easby has both a chapel and the church. The Methodist chapel is located on a t-junction west of the hall, while the Church of England chapel is inside Easby Hall Park, but on the far side of Otter Hills Beck. The church was built in 1881 by James Emerson, the then owner of the hall as his private chapel.
Grid Reference: NZ 576 086