One of several places around the Moors that have a direct connection to Captain James Cook, Great Ayton is an appealing village at the base of the northern escarpment of the high moors. Great Ayton is overlooked by Roseberry Topping and by Captain Cook's Monument on Easby Moor.
Great Ayton is now a peaceful village arranged around two greens, with the River Leven running through it. When Cook lived in the village, it was a small industrial centre, powered by that same river. Cook's family moved here in 1736, when James was eight. He attended the village school, before moving to Staithes to become an apprentice in 1745.
Grid Reference: NZ 562 106 (On the A173 between Stokesley and Guisborough
Cook's school is now the Captain Cook Schoolroom Museum.
The Church of All Saints is a twelth century church, unusually retained after a bigger church was constructed to cater for the expanded population of industrial Great Ayton.
Langbaurgh Lets Holiday Cottages: Two holiday cottages to let on the fringe of the beautiful North York Moors
Great Ayton is on Ordnance Survey Explorer Map OL26 (North Yorks Moors Western Area)