A popular village on the River Esk. The dominating theme at Lealholm is water. As well as the River Esk running through the middle of the village, three streams run into the heart of the village. The popular village green lies beside the River Esk, while just over the road the river is crossed by stepping stones. One unusual feature of Lealholm is that all three roads head uphill immediately outside the village.
To the west of the village the river passes through Crunkly Gill, a half mile long gorge carved by glacial melt waters. The gill can be reached from the southern bank of the river - leave Lealholm across the bridge at the eastern end of the village, follow the road straight up the hillside. Ignore the left turn at Glebe Farm, but take the right turn just after Mill Lane Farm. Pass through Wild Slack Farm, and look for the long field running down the hill. Half way down this field a five-barred gate leads to the gill - take care on the steep slope, and remember this is a permissive route, not a right of way, so please take care! The path through the gill comes out close to the village.
One building of interest is the Shepard's Hall. This is now a restaurant and tearoom, but was originally the hall for the local branch of the Loyal Order of Ancient Shepards. This was a friendly society, first founded in Ashton-under-Lyne in 1826 as a burial and sickness club. The Lealholm Hall was built in 1873. The Loyal Order still exists, although is now know as Shepherds Friendly
Grid Reference: NZ 765 075
2.5 miles off the A 171, eight miles west of Whitby.
Free Car park and Public Toilets; Station on the Esk Valley Line; The Board Inn; Shepards Hall Tea Rooms and Craft Gallery; Beck View Tearooms; Village Shop; Lealholm Service Station and Post Office; Poets Cottage Shrub Nursery; Forge House Gallery
Lealholm is on Ordnance Survey Explorer Map OL27 (North Yorks Moors Eastern Area)