Lingdale is one of a number of industrial villages on the northern edge of the National Park. Lingdale was once the site of an iron ore mine, and even had its own short branch line connecting the village to the Kilton Thorpe branch railway. The first village school was built in 1876. This was followed by a Congregational chapel in 1880, a church mission room in 1909 and Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. The boundary of the National Park is only a mile away to the south, and the village is linked to the high ground by passes across Busky Dale and Low Moor, at the top of Birk Brow.
Grid Reference: NZ 674 163