The village of Liverton is located half way along a minor road that runs from the coast road at Loftus to the Guisborough to Whitby road, following a ridge between the valleys of Liverton Beck and Waytail Beck. The village houses are scattered loosely around a small common. Liverton was recorded in Doomsday Book at Liuretun, an Old English name that means either 'farmstead of a man called Leofhere' or 'stream with thick or muddy water'.
The Church of St. Michael is situated in the fields just to the north of the village, one field west of the road. The church dates back to the twelfth century, but was modified at the end of the eighteenth century and restored in 1902-3. The oldest parts of the church are the west end of the north wall and the south-east and south-west corners. Part of an original door is still visible on the outside of the nave. Inside the church the chancel arch is a fine twelfth century survival.
A mile to the north is the separate village of Liverton Mines, which faces Loftus across a railway line and the valley of Waytail Beck. About the same distance to the east were the remains of Handale Priory.
Grid Reference: NZ 711 159