St. Cuthbert's Church, Kildale, is a 19th century church reached via a footbridge over a railway line, and with a notable porch.
The current church dates from 1868, although it was built in a 13th century style. The previous church was probably quite a plain building, but during the excavations that accompanied the construction of the current building some Viking relics were discovered, proving that the site has been significant for many years. Amongst the finds were several skeletons along with a number of iron swords and daggers and one battleaxe.
The approach to the church is delightful, over a long narrow footbridge that crosses the railway. Some old yew trees frame the entrance porch, which contains the oldest stones in the current building. The porch also contains four medieval grave slabs, two with the Percy coat of arms. On the exterior, the porch is distinguished by a number of carved stone heads, sticking out at around eye level.
Grid Reference: ?