The chapel of St. John the Baptist at East Ayton is an attractive low-built medieval church, built of golden stone with a red tiled roof.
The chapel of St. John the Baptist is has a mainly 13th quire, with 15th and 18th century repairs and modifications. One lancet window survives from the 13th century, as do two 15th century windows. The chancel arch is older, and dates back to the 12th century, but with an 18th century inner ring.
The three-bay nave is of the same ages as the chancel arch, with 15th century windows in the south wall. The nave walls were heightened at the same time. The tower may have a 15th century base, but the upper part is more recent. The font dates back to around 1120, and is decorated with an arcade of semicircular arches carved in low relief. The south door is 12th century, and is topped with a semi-circular arch decorated with 'beak-heads'. This door is now shielded by an 18th century porch.
The tie beams of the original medieval room are still visible, about two feet below the probably eighteenth century plaster roof.
The east wall is also eighteenth century, and features a three-light Renaissance style window. The central light is larger, and is topped by a circular arch.
Grid Reference: SE 991 849
Location: The church is just to the west of the junction between the two main roads in the village, the A 170 and the B 1261. Originally this would have been the eastern end of the village (as seen on the 1914 map), but East Ayton has spread out to the east.